I mapped the eyes. Single seam around the base, pelt mapping, relax and a little adjustment of the vertices around the edges. I made an eye texture and applied it. I think it’s good enough for what I’m planning to do.
Here are the bitmaps I made. They’re 4k and tileable. Feel free to use them ….
Continue reading Eyes Mapped
Just to keep the ball rolling …. I spent a little time this evening looking into UV unwrapping. I’ve never had to do anything this involved before. There’s no need for complex mapping when all you’re doing is planets and gaseous objects and the like.
There are different ways to go about colouring or texturing 3D meshes.
Continue reading Unwrapping the UVs #1
Weeks without a post or progress, but I’ve at last managed to just about complete the firefly rig.
Continue reading Rig Almost Done
First post in six weeks.
To ease myself back in, I applied this tutorial to the firefly antennae. It uses spline IK and spring controllers to create secondary motion. This means, for example, that if I animate the head rotating, the antennae will follow naturally and flex at the beginning and end of the motion. Spring controllers have regular PositionXYZ controllers as children, so you can still use the spline IK helpers to shape the antennae.
I had no idea that the spring controller was able to take forces into account. This opens up a lot of interesting possibilities.
Here’s what wind with some turbulence looks like ….
Continue reading Spline IK Antenna
The wings are on and it’s starting to look more like the real thing.
Some male fireflies flash in sync over large areas. This species is apparently the only in the United States that does it. They can light up whole forests or hillsides with waves of synchronous display.
I found a recent explanation of the phenomenon here, but I’m not sure I understand it fully. Males fly around flashing to attract the females’ attention. The experiment showed that the females’ response rate was 10% or less with asynchronous flashing but over 80% if in sync. And if I’m reading it correctly, this suggests that it’s easier for females to track the movement of specific males when in sync, since out of sync “the female would see a cluttered landscape of unrecognizable flashes”.
I got to see some synchronous flashing myself last month. Japan’s GenjiBotaru does it too, though it wasn’t over a large area. I saw gangs of five to ten fireflies flying in groups and flashing in perfect sync. Lucky, since I was planning to incorporate it into my story.
Very slowly, but I’m getting there. There’s the wings and the elytra (the hard wing covers) to do plus a little scale adjustment. Then I can start on texturing and rigging it.
I took my daughter out to see the fireflies a couple of times last week. She has no fear of insects at all. In fact, she loves them. At one point she had four fireflies crawling around illuminating her palm, and I was busy trying to get one or two decent macro shots for reference.
Continue reading Mosquito
I think I’m going to need some practice. I took the camera out this evening and made a first attempt at photographing fireflies.
You set the camera to manual focus at infinity and open the lens up. Then you shoot multiple exposures at a reasonable ISO for a good few seconds. I chose ISO400 for 15 seconds and took about 20 photos. Back home, you import the images into Photoshop and set all the layers to Screen. This allows the trails to be overlayed without the background becoming too bright. Here’s the best result of four attempts ….
Continue reading Firefly Photography #1
The fireflies are out in force now.
I’ve been too busy to do anything these last two weeks, but this evening I took a walk out. This is “Luciola cruciata”, or ゲンジボタル (GenjiBotaru). I was illuminating it with a red light. That’s why the colours are off.
From tomorrow, I’ll be out most days trying to get a feel for how they move. I’ll also be trying to get some decent reference photos for modelling, although my camera is at its limits in the dark and up against tiny objects.
I’d like to get the firefly model finished by the end of the month.
How much easier this would be if it was a photo blog. One click and there’s your post. Instead, I have to spend hours moving round vertices, turning edges, extruding polygons before I have something to show for my effort. Graphic software has come on leaps and bounds, but there will always be bucketloads of unglamorous spade work to do.
I’m having difficulty finding good reference material for modelling the firefly. The genus I need to make is one of the typical japanese varieties – ゲンジボタル (GenjiBotaru) or “Luciola cruciata”. I should be able to go around picking up dead ones next month. In the meantime, I thought I’d take some insect photos to get in the mood.
This one is called “Bothrogonia ferruginea (Fabricius)” (ツマグロオオヨコバイ) and it landed on my wife’s shoulder this afternoon. I used an old Ricoh CX-1. It has a pretty decent macro mode for such a small camera.