I mapped the eyes. Single seam around the base, pelt mapping, relax and a little adjustment of the vertices around the edges. I made an eye texture and applied it. I think it’s good enough for what I’m planning to do.
Here are the bitmaps I made. They’re 4k and tileable. Feel free to use them ….
Continue reading Eyes Mapped
Just to keep the ball rolling …. I spent a little time this evening looking into UV unwrapping. I’ve never had to do anything this involved before. There’s no need for complex mapping when all you’re doing is planets and gaseous objects and the like.
There are different ways to go about colouring or texturing 3D meshes.
Continue reading Unwrapping the UVs #1
I’m starting with the fireflies.
I was considering stylising them, like the insects in “A Bug’s Life“, but I’m not really aiming this at children. Although they’re central to the story, they won’t be appearing as characters. There’s no need for them to be cute.
The tool I use is Autodesk’s 3ds Max. Most of my work involves space, so it’s not often I get the chance to model something like this. I’ve started with a combination of spline and poly modelling. This is also my opportunity to get to know the Graphite Modelling Tools. That toolbar has sat unused since it was first introduced.